Recently, I've had the opportunity to answer a few questions for an article highlighting Hilton Head Island in an upcoming issue of Cincy Magazine which is an upscale Cincinnati business periodical.
I'd like to share the following questions and my answers with you.
1. Cincinnatians have many choices when it comes to buying vacation homes. In terms of location, what makes Hilton Head desirable? Obvious reasons include pristine beaches, manicured golf courses, immaculate tennis facilities, full-service marinas, fabulous shopping and a vast array of world-class restaurants. In addition, the Island offers a variety of communities including private & gated neighborhoods, townhome complexes close to the beach, villas, and golf course communities. I've driven to Cincinnati a few times and love your city! The drive to Hilton Head seems very straight forward and easy and I know a flight to Hilton Head or Savannah is very quick.
2. Why is now an ideal time to buy a vacation home in Hilton Head? As a buyer, there may never be a better time to buy a beautiful home or villa on Hilton Head Island. Inventory is abundant, prices have declined significantly, interest rates are at record lows, gas prices are not an issue, and sellers understand the need for qualified buyers in today's market. As a buyer, you have many choices and options that may not have been available 4 or 5 years ago.
3. What current market prices and interest rates can qualified buyers expect? It is always difficult to predict what market conditions will be like in the coming months, but we have been enjoying historically low mortgage interest rates over the last few months and they have dipped even further as 2009 has begun. These low rates have helped contribute to the outstanding affordability we are currently seeing. I have actually seen rates in the mid 4% range!
4. How do these market prices and interest rates compare to years past? These are the lowest rates I have seen in my career. So if you are looking at affordability from the perspective of monthly payments, we are looking at unprecedented levels. There are opportunities out there that buyers have not seen in years. It is somewhat like turning back the clock.
5. Given the current economic crisis, many Cincinnatians might be reluctant to spend money on a vacation home. What would you say to someone who is considering buying a vacation home but is worried about what the future might hold? If you're considering purchasing a vacation home or villa on Hilton Head Island, then I say 'congratulations!' There is no place in the world more charming and inviting than this beautiful Island. Consider your investment as a long-term proposition and you will be more comfortable as American real estate has always been a smart investment, especially in areas which are highly sought after and desireable. In fact, do as I do and consider your vacation home on Hilton Head Island as an 'investment with a sunset!'